Wednesday 23 September 2009

Here's to Being Spontaneous!

So, after months of being away I've finally been able to paint again, so here's something I threw together. Basically, I tried my hand at something more abstract (I think I had some Pollock on my mind) and this came out.

Bathing Elephant Calf

Bathing Elephant Calf

Acrylic on canvas. The background is a mixture of pthalo blue, ultramarine, cobalt blue, and cerulean blue, with a hint of black. I wanted to get a dark velvety look for the base, and then i splattered it with gold paint. Over that is just a few simple brushstrokes to indicate the elephant. I chose this electric blue simply because, well, I love blue! The squirting water effect was achieved by putting a drip of very watery paint and then blowing so it spreads out (thank you Sanatan for your help with that). Very skilled technique, I know. A few more blue splatters, a bit of white for the eye, and voila! A fun painting completed :D

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Super Painting!
    Pleasure to see!
    The peacocks are great also.
    Wondered why I hadn't found new work from you on flickr for so long.

    ReplyDelete