Thursday 26 February 2009

New Painting!

After about a year I finally started painting again. It seems I took a break for a while to work on my drawing and sketching skills, producing artworks on paper using pencils and inks. I decided it was time to get back to paint on canvas and borrowed an easel from my future mother-in-law (who happens to be a wonderful artist!).

I began work on this miniature painting a few weeks ago and took photos of my progress as I went along. This is really fun because I get to see the development of my painting afterwards.

I started by applying a wash of reddish-brown acrylic paint on the canvas, to give the painting a warm undertone. Then I drew a rough outline with paint of what I wanted the painting to look like, as shown below.


After that, I began blocking in the background colours. I find it is best to begin with the background and then work towards the foreground of your painting, that way you give a good amount of attention to the background without dismissing it. I painted the sky, outlined some clouds, made a reflection on the river,and used a toothbrush to spray some paint on the ground to create "sand".


I then started working on the foliage, using blobs of grey-green for leaves. I also developed the sky and sun, using orange, yellow, and red to create a sunset. And I created my horizon on the other side of the river bank.


After I was satisfied with my sky I developed the trees and plants a bit more, and got to work on the under painting of the figures. I used this method of working from "back to front" in order to establish depth. The sky is behind the trees, which are behind the figures, everything is overlapping.


Then I got to work on the details of their faces and skin, paying attention to highlights and shadows to create depth. All the while working to enhance the background as well.


Then I began working on giving depth and detail to their clothes and jewellery, still working on their skin and the background all the time. For the flowers I paint white underneath before adding the pink, this helps the colours pop out from the background.


Finally I added detail to their clothes and jewellery, painted the finishing touches on the flowers and leaves, and signed my name. Here is the completed painting.


Radha-Shyamasundar
by Radhika Bianchi, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Hi Radhika
    Just stumbled upon your page and read your profile and saw the magnificient paintings. I am totally impressed by what you are able to create.
    Seems also that India has influenced you a lot and your indian roots have left a lasting legacy on you, which brings the best in you through your paintings. You are truly a soulful artist, keep producing these brilliant work of arts as they really enhance the soul.

    I can relate to that feeling of yours, the connection with the indian motherland and the indian culture. Its a fascinating country. I wasn't born there but lived there during my teenage years, so I can really appreciate the artistic and cultural effect that the land leaves on someone.
    Wish you all the best,

    Amin

    ReplyDelete