Wednesday 4 February 2009

The Beginning

Hello, and welcome to my blog!

I think since this is all about my "art and mind" I should begin with some of my artwork and what its all about.
I am an artist and I paint all kinds of different things, but my heart will always be with Radha and Krishna: the most beautiful, most divine couple in the universe and beyond.

Let me explain. Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead (aka God) and is usually associated with the "Hindu" (more specifically Vaishnava) tradition. He has many names and many incarnations: Vishnu, Rama, Buddha, Balaji, Govinda, Jagannatha etc etc. Krishna means "the all attractive one" in sanskrit. All over India, and now in many countries all over the world, Krishna is worshipped lovingly and devotedly in His many forms.

Radha is Krishna's divine energy, or His female counterpart. She also has many forms and incarnations, like Lakshmi and Sita. Radha and Krishna are completely in love and devoted to each other, and this love is more beautiful and true than anything else in the world. It is this love that has me completely enchanted, and this is why I must always paint and draw Radha and Krishna in their many different forms.

So, that's my really brief intro, but I will be writing lots more about this as I go along. I will also share all the beautiful stories I know about Radha and Krishna so I can help others understand why I love them so much.
I will also be writing about lots of other things that may or may not relate to this subject, whatever is on my mind at the time. Hopefully someone will find this interesting.

Okay, now that I've done that little intro I'll show you some of my artwork.


Krishna Plays His Flute for Radha

Krishna plays His flute


Here are two verses from the Brahma Samhita (the song Brahma sang when he saw the beauty of the spiritual world: the world of Krishna) describing Krishna (Govinda).

Text 30

"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, who is adept in playing on His flute, with blooming eyes like lotus petals with head decked with peacock's feather, with the figure of beauty tinged with the hue of blue clouds, and His unique loveliness charming millions of Cupids."


Text 31

"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, round whose neck is swinging a garland of flowers beautified with the moon-locket, whose two hands are adorned with the flute and jeweled ornaments, who always revels in pastimes of love, whose graceful threefold-bending form of Syamasundara is eternally manifest.
"

More Brahma Samhita



As you can see, I've done my best to follow the scipture and paint Krishna exactly how Brahma describes. In this painting I've portrayed Krishna in a relaxed position, leaning against a tree by the banks of the river Yamuna (more on her later). Radha is sitting opposite Him, listening intently and captivated by the beauty of Her beloved.

It is said in the Krishna Book (tenth canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam, a vedic text), that when Krishna played His flute all the animals, trees, and creatures would stop moving and just listen in bliss. When the gopis (cowherd girls) would hear the sound of Krishna's flute their hearts would melt and they would stop all other activities just to listen to the wonderful music. The sound of Krishna's flute would drive them mad and they would run away from their homes in search of Krishna.

Such was the nectar of Krishna's pastimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment