Saturday 7 February 2009

Music Divine

Today I spent nearly the whole day at the temple, listening to the beautiful bhajans sung by the very talented singers and musicians. I've always appreciated how important music is to me, and to the world. I think music is so moving because it goes beyond this material existence and reaches deeper into our souls. A chord from a musical instrument can make one feel happy, sad, thoughtful, or elated. It seems as if it comes from a higher place. It is said that in the spiritual world every word is a song and every step is a dance.


I always listen to music when I am painting or drawing, it really helps me to focus on what I am doing and set the mood of the picture. Depending on the subject I’ll listen to different kinds of music. For example, if I’m painting something related to India I’ll listen to Indian music (usually classical). If I’m painting a landscape I’ll listen to classical Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. I find that this really helps me to be patient and precise. If I want to get the mood of a painting of Radha and Krishna right I will usually listen to artists like Prem Joshua, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Shiv Kumar Sharma, Karnamrita, Ramya, As Kindred Spirits, Kishori Mohan, and A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada…to name a few.

Prem Joshua is a musician who artfully blends the eastern and western styles of music. For some of his albums he collaborates with another musician names Manish Vyas. I think the two of them work fantastically together, and two of my all-time favourite albums they have produced together are Water Down the Ganges and Sky Kisses Earth. I never ever get tired of listening to the music on these two albums, and I often listen to them when I am drawing Radha and Krishna. Something about this music gives me so much inspiration that I can honestly say that I have fallen in love with it.

Hariprasad Chaurasia is a renowned musician whose primary instrument is the bamboo flute. He is such an expert flute player. His music is incredibly beautiful and well composed, I listen to it every time I’m painting Krishna and pretend that the sound of the flute is coming from Krishna Himself. Chaurasia’s music is mostly in raga style, but he also has some creative albums. My favourite album since childhood is Music of the Rivers, which uses the flute and other instruments to tell the story of how the river makes it’s journey from the snowy mountain peaks to the delta into the sea. I swear when I hear this album I can actually visualize the turbulent springs in the mountains, the steady flow of the river in the plains, and the magnificence of it’s arrival to the sea.

Shiv Kumar Sharma is a contemporary of Chaurasia’s and has a very similar style. In fact the two have done many collaborative works together. Sharma’s primary instrument is the santoor, which is a very sweet folk instrument from Kashmir. There is one song of Sharma’s that has completely captivated my heart, called Balled from the album Music of the Mountains. This song is so sweet and beautiful that I never get tired of hearing it.
It reminds me of cool breezes, sparkling rivers, calm lakes filled with lotus flowers, palaces made of marble and gold, gorgeous men and women dressed in silk and singing and dancing in harmony, and blue sunny skies filled with puffy white clouds. It basically paints a picture of what heaven might be like, or a time on earth when everything was peaceful and golden, and Krishna walked gracefully through the forests of Vrindavan, enchanting all the creatures along the way.

Karnamrita is a female vocalist who was raised in the west but learned music in India. She has a wonderful album called Dasi: Prayers by Women, that is full of beautiful songs about Radha and Krishna. This is also a bit of an eastern/western blend with instruments like the piano put to Sanskrit verses and traditional Indian songs. The music is very well put together and her voice is pleasant and controlled. I have listened to it often and it really helps me to get into the mood of devotion and love for Radha and Krishna.

Ramya is another female vocalist with a very sweet voice. She has an album called Beloved of Krishna which is full of traditional Vrajabasi (from the land of Vraja) songs and hymns. This album is more folky than Karnamrita’s, but it also beautifully blends eastern and western music with the use of violins and bass guitar. I had an obsession with this album for a while. I found it excellent inspiration for painting Radha because of the folk tunes and rhythms.

As Kindred Spirits is an ensemble of different musicians and instruments that got together to make the album Nectar of Devotion. Now I really had an obsession with this album for a long, long time and I still haven’t completely gotten over it. Here the blend of east-meets-west is much more pronounced and bold. There are songs that sound really traditional and there are others where you can tell the group experimented with different styles (track two sounds a bit Russian at the beginning, but then changes into a gorgeous slow and soft love song). This album explodes with love and devotion for Radha and Krishna. It is so incredibly beautiful and touching it brings tears to my eyes. I heard that the group was coming out with a new album someday soon (their first album came out in 2003 and I’ve been waiting for their next one ever since). I hope so!

Kishori Mohan is a musician who sings in traditional bhajan style. His two albums Cry for Mercy and Hindi Bhajans are simply gorgeous and filled with love for Krishna. My favourite of the two is Hindi Bhajans because it’s a bit more upbeat and full of the folk songs of Vrindavan. It reminds me of Radha and Krishna dancing the the forest, surrounded by the beautiful gopis. I really never tire of it. I’ll often listen to this especially when I want inspiration for a painting of Radha, since tracks two and eight of this album is all about her sweetness and glory. I haven't been able to find the albums for sale online or any links to Kishori Mohan since he's really underground.

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada was the founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. In 1965, at the age of 69, he travelled by ship from Bombay to the U.S.A. with the mission to preach love of Krishna in the west. His movement became popular very quickly and spread all over the world. He translated vedic texts like the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam into many languages. One of the things he stressed was that the best way to get closer to Krishna was by singing and chanting His glories. Prabhupada recorded many songs and albums with devotional prayers about Radha and Krishna. His music is very traditional, using Indian instruments and arranged in bhajan style. Whenever I need to hear what true devotion is, I listen to his albums. Nothing inspires the heart and mind like Srila Prabhupada’s voice.

There are many other musicians that inspire me to paint, and they’re not always Indian or classical. There is a certain instrumental song by John Renbourn called The Trees They Do Grow High from the album Sir John Alot Of Merrie England, which always reminds me of Krishna in the forest.
It’s so beautiful I can listen to it over and over again, and it has brought me to tears on more than one occasion. Maybe it’s the tune of the gorgeous flute, or the soft and steady guitar. Whatever it is, when I listen to that song it’s like my mind gets transported to the flowering groves of Vrindavan and I can actually see Krishna before me.


This is a sketch I did of Krishna playing His flute by the banks of the river Yamuna.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Very good info on Arts Blog and good data for Folk Painting India and Indian Madhubani Art for the world,Madhubani Paintings and very good techniques are provide for ever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haribol,

    Great to see that you love Kishori Mohan Prabhu and Sudevi didis music so much. If you want to buy their music, go to www.musicofyoga.com, it's their new website and three of their albums are downloadable from that site.

    Also, there is http://www.bvml.org/bhajans/index.html

    If you look in the list of bhajans under either Kishori Mohan or Sudevi you will find two whole cd's that are downloadable for free. Also there are four loose kirtans by Kishori that you can download.

    Good luck!
    Radhe Radhe!
    Madhukar das

    ReplyDelete
  3. what happened to radha at the end???did she married kanayya

    ReplyDelete